BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pazuzu

Todays Deity of the Day is Pazuzu, a Mesopotamian wind demon. Pazuzu was the king of the demons of the wind, and son of the god Hanbi. He also represented the southwestern wind, the bearer of storms and drought.Pazuzu is the god of the southwest wind known for bringing famine during dry seasons, and locusts during rainy seasons. Some research says he may have been associated with a cold, northeasterly wind. Pazuzu was said to be invoked in amulets which combat the powers of the malicious goddess, and hated rival, Lamashtu, who was believed to cause harm to mother and child during childbirth. Although Pazuzu is, himself, an evil spirit, he drives away other evil spirits, thus protecting humans against plagues and misfortunes.
Fun Fact: In the 1971 novel "The Exorcist" and the movies based on the novel, Pazuzu is the evil spirit that possesses the young girl Regan MacNeil.


Now, it may just be me, but when I read "wind demon", I instantly thought of Abigor from Ghost Rider.


They could be twins!

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.