BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 19, 2009

Qamata

Qamata, also known as Qamta and Quamta, is the head God of the Xhosa people in the south-eastern area of Africa. Qamata is the son of the Sun God Thixo, and the Earth Goddes Jobela.

For worship, small artificial heaps of stones were created. A traveller may often be seen adding a stone to a heap “for Qamata” a token of good luck.

This is the legend of Qamata and Table Moutain:
When Qamata wanted to create dry land, the sea dragon Nkanyamba interfered. Qamata's mother, Jobela, created four giants to help him in work and battle Nkanyamba. When Qamata's task was completed and enough dry land had been recovered, the giants were turned to stone so they could continue to keep watch over the land. The southernmost of them, Umlindi Wemingizimu ("watcher of the south") became Table Mountain, near Cape Town, South Africa.

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.