BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 8, 2010

Cama Zotz

It’s been a LONG time since I did a Deity of the Day.

I’ve been re-reading the Silverwing series by Canadian author Kenneth Oppel. These are targeted at kids, but I’ve loved them since I got them almost ten years ago. There are four books: Silverwing, Sunwing, Firewing, and Darkwing. The first three draw heavily on Mayan and Aztec mythology, including the bat god Cama Zotz.

Cama Zotz was a leaf-nosed bat, who rules over darkness, death, and sacrifice. Cama Zotz is said to have a bat kingdom in the underworld. He is the antagonist in the Hero Twin myth.

Cama Zots is also known as Camazotz, Sotz and Zotz.

Cama Zotz has been featured in a lot of pop culture including:
- The animated film Hellboy: Sword of Storms
- The novel A Wrinkle in Time
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lost Slayer book series
- Vampire Plagues book
- Stephen King’s Datk Tower series.

I love bats personally, so I’m going to leave you all with some bat pictures, including the adorable fuzzballs known as the Honduran white bat.

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.