BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Names

I hate my name. Actually, let’s be honest: I hate names in general. I don’t know why, but when people call me “Lea”, I cringe. When I have to speak about someone, I try not to use their names, because I physically cringe. I’ve always been like this.
Oddly enough, when people say “Lea Elisabeth”, I am okay.
Anyway: in Paganism and Wicca, people usually take “craft” names. These are names they use in covens, or for ritual use. I’ve gone through many names. I use them not only as craft names, but also screen names on the internet. As a Technopagan, I feel the internet is not a system of wires and information, but as an actual entity, but that’s not what this is about.
Currently, my username is Hetshepsit, after the first, and only, Egyptian pharaoh who was female. I don’t want to steal her name in an attempt to copy her, but rather to gain her confidence, which is something I lack.
Not every pagan has a craft name. Some will never choose one.
Some have many, and choose a different one as often as a full moon it seems.

Sometimes, I wish that everyone picked their own names. I wish with, like, government documents like birth certificates, we were given numbers, like a barcode, for a “legal name”.
It could just be a tic I have. I don’t like calling other people’s names, and I never have.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? I’ve heard a couple theories about “stealing power”, but that’s about it.
Am I just weird?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you were into the whole nature/Native spirituality thing I would suggest a naming ceremony... but I don't think you'd enjoy it. Not quite your cup of tea. Also, I don't know where you could get one done around here.

---Lea Elisabeth said...

I dunno if I'd enjoy a naming ceremony. It sounds pretty nifty.

Unknown said...

In the sweat lodge? With all the bugs? (Seriously, they're everywhere in there.)

---Lea Elisabeth said...

yeah, that would suck. The sweat lodge I could handle...but I'm out for the bugs.

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.