BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sacred Symbols: A Visual Tour of World Faith

I like symbols. They are like a language. You decipher them, and suddenly new worlds are revealed.
I think this is why I got into tarot.
Anyway, this book is practically the symbol bible. It covers everything from the Majors in tarot, to Egypt, to Celts, to Sacred Sex. I learned so much in reading this book, and I think it’s going to help so much in tarot reading, which is the reading of symbols. For candle magic or talisman making, this book is also helpful, because it’s so easy to hunt through, and you find exactly what you need.
Though I wished there had been more information on the meanings of symbols—don’t get me wrong, there was a lot of that—the history aspect was also very interesting. I think that is my only criticism of the book.
Oh, and it’s wicked heavy.

Published in 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

Other Books by Robert Adkinson: You can buy each individual chapter from this book in a separate volume, but that’s it.

Readability:
Is it easy to read? Yes
Is it easy to follow along with? Yes
Is it interesting? Yes
How long does it take to read? It took me about a week
Overall: 4/5

Content:
Is the author knowledgeable? Yes
Is the knowledge valuable? Yes
Is the knowledge new knowledge or is it common knowledge? It’s got a mixture of both. There were a lot of new symbols I had never seen before.
Is it cohesive and relevant? Yes
Other notes: This book is really well put together. The content flows really well.
Overall: 5/5

Design/Layout:
Is the book set up for easy reference: Yes
Is the layout or design obnoxious or annoying? No
Overall: 5/5

Overall:
Do you recommend this book? Yes
Was it worth the money? Yes! It is a hardcover book, really well made, and only $18. The individual volumes average $14, so you save a lot of money.
Will You Purchase Other Books from this Author?: Not applicable
Overall: 14/15

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.