BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Teen Spell Book: Magick for Young Witches

This book gets divided reviews online. First off, older pagans think that this book is just bullshit for rebelling teenagers to read and claim they are Wiccan. Okay, yes, to a degree it is. It does give Wicca a “teenage” perspective. However, Wood also talks about the more serious aspects of Wicca, such as karma, and intent. This is not a book of spells. In fact, more than half the book is dedicated to the basics of Wicca.
On the other hand, it is a teenage book, and this is the sort of book rebelling teens would pick up. Even if there are no “evil” spells in this book, as someone who is technically still in her teens, I can tell you this: teenagers are stupid. We really are.
This book, however, had some redeeming factors. If I was raising a teenager in paganism, I would give this book as a “coming of age” present, because it gives them access to some basic spells that are geared to their age group, and if they are raised in the faith, they will have a bit more perspective on spells than a rebelling teenager.

Published in 2004 by Celestial Arts

Other Books by Jamie Wood: The Wicca Cookbook: Recipes, Ritual and Lore; The Enchanted Diary: A Teen’s Guide to Magick and Life; Wicca Herbal: Guide to Healing Body and Spirit with Magickal Herbs.

Readability:
Is it easy to read? Yes, it’s written for teens.
Is it easy to follow along with? Yes
Is it interesting? Yes
How long does it take to read? If you read all the spells, probably 5-7 days. If you just read the information about Wicca, 3-4 days.
Overall: 4/5

Content:
Is the author knowledgeable? Yes
Is the knowledge valuable? Yes.
Is the knowledge new knowledge or is it common knowledge? Some of it is rather common. Pick up any book on Wicca, and you’ll probably get similar information.
Is it cohesive and relevant? Yes
Other notes: This book is geared to teens, so older pagans might feel talked down to when reading this book.
Overall: 4/5

Design/Layout:
Is the book set up for easy reference: Yes
Is the layout or design obnoxious or annoying? No.
Overall: 4/5

Overall:
Do you recommend this book? Yes
Was it worth the money? It costs about $14 on Chapters. I got my copy at Green Earth, and it was I think $13, so it’s not too expensive, and I’ve got a lot of use out of it for only $13.
Will You Purchase Other Books from this Author?: The cookbook looks interesting, so I might pick that up.
Overall: 12/15

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.