BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 13, 2009

12 Days of Yule: Day One

Welcome to the Twelve Days of Yule! Today is day one, all about Yule!

Yule is the date of the Winter Solstice, which is usually December 21st. This is the longest night of the year, and when the days grow longer. Between Summer and Winter Solstice, the days grow shorter as the Earth turns farther away from the sun. The winter solstice marks the coming of spring, as the days are “reborn”.

In many Wiccan Yule stories, the Goddess gives birth to the Sun on this day. Some women stay up all night to help the Goddess give birth.

Just like for Christians, Yule is a time of celebrating with family and friends, exchanging gifts, and feasting.

Yule is the next holiday after Samhain. While Samhain was a celebration of death, Yule is a celebration of life. It doesn’t just mean physical life, but also new ideas. As winter is perceived as a quiet time, we can listen to our own ideas and creativity.

The Christians took December 25th as their date of birth for Jesus to help the Pagans, who had numerous winter celebrations, convert. Theologists tend to believe that Jesus’ actual birthdate was in the spring.

Yule is also a representation of the last of the three “stages” of life. This is the time when the Mother has grown into the Crone, and the Hunter is now the Sage. As winter ends, so does these stages of life, and they are reborn as Children.

Yule is, basically, the celebration of the rebirth of the Sun. This is why we exchange gifts, much like the same way the Christians do.

Happy Yule!

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.