BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

12 Days of Yule: Day Three

This post could, technically, fit in with Day 9, which is the symbols of Yule and Winter, but it was requested.

The Yule Log is the representation of the rebirth of the God, and the coming sun. As the log burns, it gives off heat, and thus represents the coming sun. The log is traditionally oak or pine. The log is then covered in appropriate sun symbols, and burned, usually for the Twelve Days of Christmas. In some cultures, the new log was lit by using a small piece from the log burned the year before.

The tradition of burning a Yule Log was German at first, though it gained popularity. It was popular in the British Isles in the 17th century, but died out during the Industrial Revolution.

Today, the Yule Log is a symbol of the holiday season, and many television stations will broadcast a burning fireplace on Christmas morning. This is not a true Yule Log, as it is not carved or blessed in a Pagan sense.

A Yule Log is also a kind of dessert cake made of a dense sponge-like cake, and rolled into a log shape. It is usually chocolate.

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.