BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Book Review: Heka - The Practices Of Ancient Egyptian Ritual And Magic

This was my first real book on Egyptian magic. Ironically, it arrived on Egyptian new year when I got it. I poured over it, reading it cover to cover at least half a dozen within the month of August. This book made me feel grown up; not just some teenage dabbler in Wicca, but a real Pagan.
This book puts ancient Egyptian practices into a modern context, and that makes it rather easy to use in a modern setting. Though it does explain the concepts of the Ancients, it also converts the Egyptian calendar to a Gregorian one, so you can properly plan ceremonies.
This book not only gives a history of the civilization of Egypt, but also brief overviews of different deities, including many of their symbols. It converts very ritualistic ceremonies, such as the Opening of the Mouth ceremony, to something that can easily be done today. This book really blends ancient practises with modern society.
I really think this is a staple for anyone at all interested in Egyptian magic.

Published in 2006 by Avalonia

Other Books by David Rankine:
Climbing the Tree of Life; The Voyage of the Black Witch; The Guises of the Morrigan - The Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle; Becoming Magick; Magick Without Peers; Circle of Fire


Readability:
Is it easy to read? Yes
Is it easy to follow along with? Yes
Is it interesting? Yes
How long does it take to read? It took me about three days to read cover to cover
Overall: 5/5

Content:
Is the author knowledgeable? Seems to be
Is the knowledge valuable? Yes
Is the knowledge new knowledge or is it common knowledge? It’s new knowledge. Most books on Paganism, and even on Egypt, don’t present this kind of information.
Is it cohesive and relevant? Yes
Other notes: Though this information is probably available online, the way this book is put together makes it worth buying
Overall: 5/5

Design/Layout:
Is the book set up for easy reference: Yes
Is the layout or design obnoxious or annoying? Not in the least
Overall: 5/5

Overall:
Do you recommend this book? Yes
Was it worth the money? It’s a little pricy. On Amazon it’s about $28, and on Chapters it’s about $36. It’s worth asking for as a birthday/Christmas present, or if you can afford it, it is worth the money.
Will You Purchase Other Books from this Author?: I’m going to look into it, for sure.
Overall: 15/15

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.