BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 7, 2009

Separation of Church and State

This week’s pagan blog prompt got me thinking, but not about the prompt. This week’s topic was about how your spirituality affects your opinion on abortion.
There was a huge red-flag in my mind there.

On a personal level, I suppose that your religion can influence your opinion on a lot of things, and that is your prerogative. I have no issue with you personally being for or against something, as long as it doesn’t impede on my right to be personally for or against something. Yes, I know this is confusing as hell. I can try to explain.
I know people in my own extended family who don’t agree with gay marriage in Canada. Before we stopped seeing them, we would have to listen to them bitch about it endlessly. However, this was bitching in their private home, and not against the government. They understood that it was their right, according to the government, that gay people should be able to get married. If they didn’t like it, too bad, as it was fair in the grand scheme of things. If you don’t like gay marriage, don’t get one.

The government should not use any religious reasons for the creation and passing of laws. My reasons for supporting things like gay marriage, abortion, and even assisted suicide have nothing to do with my religion. Even if Quetzalcoatl came and told me outright that gay marriage is wrong, I would still support it, I just wouldn’t get one.

I firmly believe in the separation of church and state. My religion has no place in the government, and the government has no place in my religion.

2 comments:

Saoirse McGinnis said...

I absolutely LOVE the last paragraph.

Well put.

Blessings,
Skye

---Lea Elisabeth said...

thanks Skye!

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.