BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 9, 2009

Deities and Adabtability

Yes! It’s my 100th post! Oh my Gods, have I really been able to keep up for 100 blog posts? Wow, that feels so weird. I’ve never been able to really keep things up. I leave them for months and then come back.
I’ve actually been updating pretty much every day, and now we’re at out 100th post. To me, that’s just surreal. Because, you know, I’m amused by simple things.
A big THANK YOU to everyone who reads this blog and puts up with my weirdness. You guys are really what keeps me going. Every time I see a comment or a new watcher, or having my blog on a blogroll, or on some sort of inspiration list, I literally freak out with joy. So, again, you guys ROCK and I thank you a million times over.
As you know, I had my surgery today, and I’m feeling okay. A little groggy, so you’ll have to forgive some grammar errors. I can give you an actual account of my surgery if you want me too (just ask, then check back under your comment in a couple of hours!), but I won’t bore you here.

There is a perfume company called the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. They have a collection called A Picnic in Arkham, which is perfume based on the Cthulhu Mythos. I recently got the Necronomicon Tarot, an H. P. Lovecraft inspired tarot deck. I never really got into H.P. Lovecraft until I got this deck. It sparks memories of a dream I had when I first met Quetzalcoatl. He identified himself as Cthulhu, even though I recognized him as Quetzalcoatl.

Now, I’m asking for the collection H.P. Lovecraft’s short stories for Christmas, and since it’s only about $11 at the most expensive (my Mom checked it out), I’m probably getting the perfume as well, and the Cthulhu plushie from ThinkGeek. It’s a Cthulhu fest.

Now, my question then became, why do I want all this Cthulhu stuff? Are the Elder Gods coming and I am going to be eaten first (“Chick Tract” explanation)? Actually, I think I have an explanation.

I think Quetzalcoatl loves H.P. Lovecraft. I only vaguely knew of it, and after my dream, I read all the Wikipedia stuff on the Cthulhu Mythos. All this Cthtlhu stuff is coming to me.

I have a theory about deities. Most of us tend to think of them as these immortal beings in their palaces in tune with the culture they are associated with. We may call them into modern settings, but I don’t think we see them blending into modern settings. To be honest, I don’t think many can blend into modern settings, especially ones that are incredibly ancient like Mesopotamian deities.

I think the vast majority of deities treat the modern world almost like the annoying family members: you visit them, but you wouldn’t want to live there. I think there are some that are really terrible at meshing in with this world and don’t exactly know how to transition from their world to ours.
I think there are a few that are great at changing with the times, and I think Quetzalcoatl is one of them. He loves Indiana Jones, How Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth (Star Trek episode), and H. P. Lovecraft.

Maybe it’s the drugs talking.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I’d love to hear your opinions and/or experiences.

Also: holy shit! I started this post at, like 4pm. It’s almost 3 hours later, and it’s barely 600 words. I am easily distracted in this state.
Bring on the Tylenol threes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT. Ok I've had spirits/Deities take bubble baths with me, watch TV with me, and steal my fucking french fries in a cafe around midnight. So the ones I like to hang out with are pretty good at adapting to modern things, though I myself like to keep it old school so I guess we balance eachother out pretty good. Lea...I'll tell you the fry story today ;)

---Lea Elisabeth said...

You've told me all sorts of fry stories. And about the faries that liked to sleep in your sweaters. And the ones that stole your bras. Oh yes, you've told me ALL about them:P

DISCLAIMER

A lot of my information is directly copy-pasted frm my own Book of Shadows, collected over the past couple of years from a variety of sourses. I try to credit where I can, and I try to paraphrase and change words around without changing meanings as much as I can.
IF YOU SEE YOUR INFORMATION HERE: Please let me know, I'll be more than happy to credit you. The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on the post, and I'll be sure to edit the post as soon as I get the message.